Monday, December 23, 2013

Let the Journey Begin

Repeat after me..."I can run a half-marathon... I can run 13.1 miles... I can do this."

That was the synopsis of the internal pep-talk I had a few weeks ago after Brad Kinkema, the Executive Director of the Martinsville-Henry County YMCA, asked me to run the Martinsville Half-Marathon. It wasn't the first time he asked... Brad has been asking me to run for two years now!

To give you a little background, as the Director of Tourism for Martinsville-Henry County, Virginia, I've had some involvement with the Martinsville-Half Marathon, 5K & Relay ever since it's inception in 2011. It's a very popular event and many out of town visitors participate in it. Each year I have served on the race advisory committee to assist with marketing of the event and arrange lodging/shuttle packages for visiting runners. On race days my staff and I have manned cheering/music stations throughout the route. There is a small army of staffers, committee members and volunteers behind the scenes that make these races a success. The Martinsville Half-Marathon, 5K & Relay is a fun event and there is such a positive energy in the air but up until now I have been perfectly satisfied with my role on the sidelines.

I'm not a true runner. I've participated in a few 5Ks before and even completed the Harvest Moon Run 10K in 2011 as a personal challenge but I'm not a formally trained runner. Each time Brad asked if I would run the half-marathon in the past I would just laugh.


Throughout 2013 I have had the desire to get back in better shape but just had not made the time/effort commitment to jump into a program, routine or class. When Brad asked me for the upteenth time to run and also participate in the training program, I decided that it was a sign and that I needed to give it a go. My husband, and #1 supporter, agreed to be Mr. Mom on Tuesday nights for 10 weeks so that I can attend the weekly training sessions. 

So here's the scoop: on January 14, 2014 I will begin the YMCA's Half Marathon Training Program and on March 22, 2014 I will run the Martinsville Half-Marathon. I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm not trying to break any time records, I just want to run 13.1 miles to finish the race, as a personal challenge, and in the process become a healthier version of me. 

I'm documenting my journey during this process because, as I mentioned earlier, I am not a die-hard runner. I am a normal person, a wife and a mom with a full-time career. I know first-hand how easy it is to make excuses as to why you don't have time or energy for physical fitness but I also know that if you put your mind to it you can do anything.  The same day that I agreed to run the Martinsville Half-Marathon I saw this photo on Pinterest. So true!

 Photo from Everyday Monday Health & Wellness Blog

My goal for this blog is to share what I learn during the journey and to empower others to begin the path to better physical fitness. Set a personal goal and aim for it, whether that means completing a half-marathon, running a 5K or even starting small to walk your first mile. If one person (perhaps, you?) chooses to get off the couch and work towards a personal challenge, then I've made a difference. Ready to start?

Join me this winter in the YMCA's training program (yes, there's a program for the 5K too!), follow my story here on the blog and challenge yourself in 2014. If March 22nd is too short of notice for you (excuse #35?), there are seven great ways that you can get out and get active this year. They are all part of the Miles in Martinsville Race Series presented by the Martinsville-Henry County YMCA and Activate Martinsville-Henry County
Enjoy the journey and remember to shoot for your goals! Along the way I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note in the comments box below. 

2 comments:

  1. You can do this Jennifer! There are so many people to support you on your journey. I ran the MHM last year as part of my larger goal to run EVERY day of the 2013 calendar year...and ended up with 2,263.82 miles (better than a 10k/day) and never missed a day! So many people (many from the Martinsville area) supported me on my journey and you'll find the same thing. The running community is so awesome.

    - Bobby Carlsen, Danville

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bobby. It's great to hear that you had such a positive experience!

      Delete