Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Running with Dr. Leanna Blevins

Finishing her 1st half-marathon.
Leading up to the Martinsville Half-Marathon, 5K & Relay, Run MHC will feature the stories of other runners so you can hear different perspectives on how various people began running and what motivates them. Today's guest blogger is Dr. Leanna Blevins of Martinsville, VA. 

I started running around the time I turned 40.  I was never much of an athlete, so I didn't think I could be a runner.  I am, however, stubborn, so when some girlfriends and I decided to try to train for a half marathon, I figured it would be a physical commitment for a few months and then I could check it off the list.  What I didn't realize was that training and running is as much mental as it is physical.
I am a mom of 3 young children with a full-time job and various volunteer positions in the community.  I thought I was too busy to incorporate regular exercise into my life.  I made the decision to do it temporarily to train, and now I have decided to make it part of my lifestyle.  


Leanna celebrating her daughter's 1st 5K.
It never really gets easier to get up and run at 5 a.m. when everyone else in my family is asleep, but that way I am not taking away time when we can be together.  We also do some fun runs as a family.  In 2013, we completed 3 5Ks together and my oldest daughter ran a total of 5 5Ks. When I crossed the finish line of the half marathon I ran, they were there waiting for me and that made it so worthwhile!
I've learned that running, for me, is a team sport. My husband has always supported the additional time commitment, which can be significant when doing "long runs" to train for a half marathon.  Plus he listens to my groans about aches and pains!  The girlfriends I run with keep me motivated, hold me accountable, and definitely make me stronger and faster.  It's my "team" that enables and encourages me, allowing me to run happy and run strong. I am grateful to each of them.
Before and after the Paint the Town 5K in Martinsville.
Running is a tremendous source of stress relief for me. Running is a fun and healthy way to support local causes.  Running is a way to show my children that I am investing in my future health and hopefully setting an example of dedication and active living for them. Running allows me to see parts of the places I visit that I wouldn't otherwise see. Running has connected me with a greater community of runners who, like me, log every mile on a page in memory a high school classmate who was an avid runner and lost his battle with oral cancer last year.
There is a quote that sums up my 15 month running career:  "Strength doesn't come from what you can do; it comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn't do."  I am a lot stronger than I thought I was. And I have miles to go before I sleep!

Thanks so much to Leanna for sharing her story. If you have a story to share about running, send it my way. Email your story and photos to JDoss@YesMartinsville.com.

If you have not signed up for the YMCA's training programs yet, it's not too late! The half-marathon class continues each Tuesday and the 5K program begins on February 10th. Challenge yourself to take a step towards a better you!

No comments:

Post a Comment