Sunday, December 29, 2013

Rest Day Research

We're 83 days away from the Martinsville Half-Marathon and today is a rest day because it's raining. Secretly, I'm not complaining. "Rain, beautiful rain!" (Excuse #17?)

While browsing the App store on my iPhone I came across a free app called RunKeeper. It tracks your runs by mapping the route, keeping up with time and measuring the elevation that you climb while running. The app will import your own playlist of music and also gives verbal motivational cues telling you throughout the workout, how far you've run and what your pace is.

The countdown function helps you keep your eyes on the prize and stay focused on your goals. If a race is not your goal you can choose a specific distance or time that you'd like to achieve.

It gives you the option to connect with other runners on Facebook but I'm not quite ready for that step yet. I prefer to keep my snails' pace private for the time being! In looking at this option I did notice that several other local runners use this app and frequently track runs with it. That is a plus to see where real people that I know have had success with it.

Sounds good enough. It's downloaded and ready to go for my next run.

Tell me in the comments below. What's your favorite training app and why?

New to the party? Read my first post to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment