Thursday, January 2, 2014

Setting the Pace

Now that the critical "first run" (a.k.a. "get off the couch") event has occurred. I plan to update the blog each week with my training progress and helpful tips that I discover along the way.

82 Days to Go - I took my first run using the RunKeeper app. I ran the same residential route as my first run Dec. 28th. Throughout the workout, my audio trainer gave me information on distance covered and pace to push me along. It's encouraging to hear when I've hit a milestone distance. I was happy to complete the route without any walking and could tell that it was a little easier the second time around.

When I completed the run and hit the stop button, I learned that I ran 1.65 miles at a pace of 11:20 per mile. The charts on the app show how my pace fluctuated during the run and the elevation of the course. This particular route provides 130 feet of elevation gain, adding to the challenge. I'm looking forward to learning tips in the YMCA's training program on when to pick up the pace and when to go easy so that I can be more efficient in my running.

The RunKeeper app thinks of everything and even sent an email to congratulate me on my new record. Ok, so it was my first run with the app but I did set the bar. Thanks for the shout out and encouragement, RunKeeper!



81 Days to Go - My four-year old son and I went
running in our neighborhood together. (For the purposes of this public blog, I'm referring to him as "H.") H led the way running in front of me the whole time and often turned back to cheer "go, go, go," "we can do this" and occasionally spouting off a very motivational "are you coming or not?"

Since this hilly route presents two 40 foot elevation climbs back to back, I needed all the encouragement I could get. After one trip down the road he said "let's turn around," so we did. When we got back to the house I hit the stop workout button on my app only to hear H shout "ok, one more lap!" So we started a second workout log and went again. We ran a total of 1.45 miles at a pace of 11.78 per mile.

80 Days to Go - I had a very difficult time convincing myself to run on New Year's Day. H and I had been enjoying a quiet day together at home. I thought about running several times during the day but thinking and doing are two different things!

It was not until I heard myself use the absolute lamest excuse ever: "let me finish a little more of this puzzle," that I realized I really needed to put aside the 770 piece jigsaw puzzle (aka: so many pieces that we're never running) and get up to go run. Moments later I received a random phone call from my friend Morgan who passed along some encouragement. Ok, ok - I'm going...

H and I ran 1.01 miles at a pace of 11:56 per mile. Even though he had wanted to run with me, this workout he was more of a slinky. He would burst out ahead of me shouting encouragement, then drag his feet until he was several yards behind whining "I don't have any energy." Five seconds later he would be back out front again cheering before falling back with an "I'm tired." Needless to say, we kept this run brief but it felt great to get it taken care of. Later on, while we enjoyed a healthy snack together, I opened an encouraging email from RunKeeper. While we had not broken any time or pace records, it did recognize that I had set a new personal record for most workouts in a week. Woo hoo!

79 Days to Go - It's a rainy day. Part of me is happy for the break but the other part is disappointed. I really want to cross the two-mile mark in my training as I build up endurance.

How is your training going? Share in the comments below because I'd love to hear about it.

New to this blog? Be sure to circle back and read my first post.

No comments:

Post a Comment