Sunday, January 5, 2014

Two Miles!

As I've been working to build up my endurance, breaking the two mile mark was my next "baby-step" goal. The end of last week was bitterly cold. Yesterday I truly did not have time to run and tomorrow is anticipated to be the coldest day of the year. So...better run today!

Despite the fact that it was 32 degrees and misting rain on and off, I was anxious to just go and get it over with this morning. I got dressed to run and played with H while waiting for a break in the mist. About 11 a.m. I saw the opportunity and went for it.

The first half-mile, my fingers and cheeks were cold but everything warmed up as I got going. At mile 1.2, I shed my outer jacket after coming up a steep hill and around mile 1.3 the jacket made an excellent matador cape to swat at the neighbors' grumpy dogs as they approached me.

The last half mile was the hardest but the RunKeeper app (and lure of the cozy couch waiting for me) kept me motivated to push onward to my goal.

I ran 2.02 miles at a pace of 12:01 per mile and covered 140 feet in elevation gain. Now that I have met my goal, I can enjoy the rest of this winter day inside by the fire with a cup of coffee and a feeling of accomplishment!

My next goal is to run the same 2 mile route at a pace of 11:30 per mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment