Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Running with Sharon Kirby

Leading up to the Martinsville Half-Marathon, I'll feature the stories of other runners so you can hear different perspectives. Today's guest blogger is Sharon Kirby of Martinsville. Sharon is part of an amazing group of ladies who are all wives, mothers and professionals. Not only do they share a lifelong friendship together but also the love of running. 
It was just over a year ago while on vacation with a couple of girlfriends that the idea of training for a half marathon came up.  
The discussion started at breakfast while the three of us sat around relaxing, enjoying our morning coffee.  It went something like this, “So T, how do you stay in such great shape?”……”I try to squeeze in a run several times a week; maybe 3-4 miles.  Hey, I have an idea!  Let’s all train for a half marathon!” And I, being a loyal friend, agreed without much thought or hesitation.  
Later during one of our more grueling runs, I thought to myself, why am I doing this?  I’ve never run more than 3-4 miles at the most and certainly not since my oldest child was born nearly 8 years ago. What on earth made me think I could go from couch to half marathon?? But I didn't give up and I believe the motivation and encouragement I received from my training partners had a lot to do with that. But I can honestly say that it’s doubtful I would have arrived at the decision to take on such a big challenge on my own so to this day I’m still thanking T every chance I get.

Race day comes and what do you know….not only do I run the whole thing, but I finish in a respectable time.  Afterwards, my daughter was waiting at the finish line and the look of amazement on her face was one I’ll never forget.  She asked me why I did it, why I ran the race.  As my good friend LB always says, I used it as a teachable moment.  I explained to her that even though it was hard and there were times I wanted to give up and quit, I didn't.  
I wanted her to know that even though things may appear impossible in the beginning, seeing those things through to the end no matter what, is a great accomplishment in and of itself, no matter the outcome.  And that you should never undertake only the things at which you know you will succeed because where is the challenge in that? 
Now, a year, two 5k’s, and two half marathons later, I am still running.  I run because I love how I feel during and after.  I run to relieve stress.  I run just for me.  I run for my kids.  I run for my health.  But most of all I run because I CAN.  
I loved hearing this story and hope that my son, H, will be as proud of his mother on March 22nd as Sharon's daughter was. If you have a story to share about running, send it my way. Email your story and a photo to JDoss@YesMartinsville.com.

If you have not signed up for the YMCA's training program, do it today! The first class begins on January 14th. Challenge yourself to take a step towards a better you.



No comments:

Post a Comment