Sunday, January 26, 2014

5 Mile Milestone!

59 Days to Go - I felt bad not going to the YMCA's training session the night before. I heard that they had a great time running in the snow but where I live, out in a rural community, it's important to get home before the snow sets in. There's a half mile incline between my home and the main road that does not get salted or scraped by VDOT. #CountryLife

58 Days to Go - Our training coaches sent out an email to the group reminding everyone of our training assignments for the week -  I needed to get in a five miler before the next session. They also sent a wonderful story to share from a fellow runner.
“A few years ago I was running in insanely high winds.  The type of wind that pushes you back a foot for every two feet you go. I may have had a little of a runners high or maybe I was just being my insane self but every time the wind would smack me in the face and push me back I would pound my chest and yell (yes literally yell out loud) “That’s all you got”. Last week I ran again in strong winds and this time I thanked the wind.  I literally said out loud “thank you wind for making me stronger”. I welcome opportunities like high winds, rain, snow extreme heat or cold, for I know it makes me stronger, better and tougher. When I finally get to the starting line I know I am ready for anything that day holds.  I also know I will crush my competitors that decided during training that it was too windy, too rainy, too cold or too hot to run. Embrace adversity for it will give you the edge to victory!”
This was definitely something I needed to hear. Reality check - it might be cold or raining on race day and there's no turning back at that point. Training in the elements is important so that you are ready for race day, no matter what mother nature brings. After work I headed to the YMCA to run on the treadmill since it was quickly getting dark outside. I ran two miles before getting bored. Treadmills are nice to have but pale in comparison to actually running outdoors.

57 Days to Go - I received an invite from Sharon and Tiffany to go running during my lunch break. The temperature was 29 degrees but I knew that I had to go as it would be much more difficult to do a run in these conditions alone. I put on my usual running gear and added on a fleece vest, headband and gloves. My co-workers were pretty shocked about me running outside in the cold but I'm so glad that I did. There are certain things you can't experience on a treadmill:
  • The sun shining on your back
  • Watching a flock of ducks take flight together off the lake
  • Seeing things at a slower pace that you'd never notice from the car
  • Turning back to see where you came from and being proud of it
Together we ran 4.21 miles (new personal record) at a pace of 9:51 per mile on a route with 363 feet of elevation gain. I ducked out to get back to work and Tiffany and Sharon continued another two miles to complete their training for the day. 

One important lesson that I learned for the day was to make sure that your body is fueled up for a run. I had not eaten as much as I typically do before a run and boy did I feel it! My tank was empty. Peanut butter sandwiches, Greek yogurt with granola, protein bars, bananas and mixed nuts are all snacks that help me have enough energy to push through a run. I'll make sure to fuel up better before the next run. #LessonLearned

56 Days to Go - Today was a rest day. I had errands to take care of during my lunch break and a busy day at work so no time for running. 

55 Days to Go - Looking at the forecast, I planned out that 3 p.m. would be the warmest part of the day. A mere 32 degrees. Toasty, right? My afternoon grocery shopping trip took longer than expected and when I returned home I discovered my running clothes that were air drying in front of the fireplace were still not dry. 

It was 4 p.m. by now and I was torn. I had plenty of excuses why to not run but I knew that I'd be disappointed afterwards if I didn't try. I tossed on a pair of wind pants and one of my husband's thermal hunting shirts. I intended to run two, maybe three miles just to keep endurance up. I did that and kept going. After mile four I knew that I needed to get past 4.21 miles to set a new PR but why stop there? I kept going! I ran 5.05 miles at a pace of 10:53 per mile. The route had 243 feet of elevation gain. The last half mile of my run I was all smiles and I felt great. 

Thank you wind and cold for making me stronger! 

No comments:

Post a Comment