Monday, January 6, 2014

"Baby It's Cold Outside"

75 days until the Martinsville Half-Marathon and "Brrr" is all that I can say! On days like this, it's time to take the running indoors. As I mentioned in previous posts, getting up and out the door is often the biggest obstacle to running (or any fitness program, for that matter).

I snacked on healthy nibbles at my desk throughout the day with the intentions of running during my lunch break. The problem is that I kept finding things that needed to be done (wink, wink). Yes, these could have very easily been accomplished AFTER my lunch break, but it made for a great excuse while it lasted.

Finally, at 2 p.m. I forced myself up from the desk to head out into the cold. As I drove the few blocks over to the Martinsville YMCA, I had doubts about running and whether there would be enough time. As I wrangled my bags to quick-change from office wear to gym wear I had more doubts, but those soon all vanished.


The Martinsville YMCA was warm, clean and full of friendly people. As I found an empty treadmill and started warming up, I began feeling more and more at ease. "You can do this...relax and run," I told myself.

Since I had a short amount of time and didn't want to get sweaty during the work day, I ran just one mile. The mile went by quickly as I enjoyed watching the news on a large TV in the Nautilus room. That mile was enough to give me a great feeling for the rest of the day. This baby step of getting active during the day, even if just a little, will help me as I progress further towards my goal.

How is your journey going? Have you made a goal yet or taken that first baby-step? Tell me about it in the comments below. Remember...we can do this!

New to this blog? Be sure to read my first post to catch up.


No comments:

Post a Comment