Saturday, January 11, 2014

Making The Moment Count

71 Days to Go - I ran 1.25 miles during my lunch break on the YMCA treadmill at a pace of 11:22 per mile.

70 Days to Go - This morning H woke up exceptionally early. My plea for him to snuggle in the bed with me was futile; he wanted me to get up and play. So we had fun playing trains and cars, ate breakfast and watched cartoons together. All during this time a heavy rain and thunderstorm was going on outside. It appeared that I would not have an opportunity to run today. I already had plans made for the rest of the day and the morning was my only chance.

While H was engrossed in a favorite program, I slipped off to check my e-mail. Sharon, my guest blogger this week, had invited me to be a friend on RunKeeper. I accepted the invite and sat there in amazement looking at her stats..."how on earth does she find the time to run like that?"

After the thunder stopped I hopped in the shower to get my morning started. (I have a date with a cute young man at Dino Day later today.) As soon as I was out of the shower and dressed it was no longer raining. For the moment I was torn, I just got all cleaned up but I really want to run. If my new running friend had found the time to get in 5 miles this morning, surely I could do something, right?

My husband, Darrin, and I looked at the radar together and saw that I had about a one hour break in the rain before the next storm passed through. I knew that if I didn't go try that I would regret it for the rest of the day. I got dressed to run, Darrin and H told me good luck and off I went.

The temperature outside felt great and the fog hanging over the road was pretty. I felt stronger this time and I know that every mile I had put in this week helped me. The neighbors were considerate and brought their dogs inside after my first lap, knowing that I'd be back by soon. There were times that I had to push myself and even gave little pep-talks, "You can do this!"

In the end, not only did I get in a 2.02 mile run but I also set a new record pace. On January 5th, I set the goal of running the same course at a pace of 11:30 per mile. I did it today in 10:55 per mile!!! H was standing at the window waiting for me to return from my run and gave me a big hug. Within moments arriving back at the house it began raining again.

I want to thank Sharon for motivating me. If she had not reached out to me, I would not have run today, I would not have reached my goal and I would not feel as AMAZING as I do right now!

The lesson here...make every moment count. Sloshing through a few puddles to get in my run wasn't so bad. Now I'm off to get get my second shower for the day so I can take H to Dino Day and my wonderful hubby is making me an egg and cheese sandwich for a post run snack. #LovingLife

My next baby-step goal is to increase my mileage to 2.50. The YMCA's half-marathon training program begins on Tuesday so sign up and challenge yourself. If you are looking for a smaller challenge there is also a 5K training program. #WeCanDoThis

No comments:

Post a Comment