Tuesday, January 21, 2014

It's All About Perspective...

61 Days to Go - Knowing that an impending snow was on the way, I decided to take the opportunity to get in a long run on the Monday holiday. It was a gorgeous day with temps in the high 50's. After running 3.12 miles the previous day, I was ready to up my mileage and I wanted to beat 4.06 miles, my highest mileage to date.

I took off and started running in a residential neighborhood. The first mile was brutal, the second mile I felt better and by the third mile I was smiling.

Why, you ask?

A week ago, Sharon took me running on a hill that I thought was going to kill me. That day I plugged away, huffing and puffing as she cheered me on and pushed through the hill. On this day, I dreaded the hill as I ran toward it remembering how ominous it was. When I got to the bottom I looked up and thought, "Well that's not so bad; I've got this!" And I did. The second time around it was so much easier.

Now the next hill after that one... we've still got some work to do, but maybe third time's the charm! It's true that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I finished the run with 4.11 miles at a pace of 10:42 per mile on a route with 376 feet of elevation gain. I felt great! Take a good look at what intimidates you and get ready to laugh when you conquer it. #WeCanDoThis

60 Days to Go - There's a nice blanket of snow on the ground outside my house so I passed on the training group session this evening. A little disappointing because I really wanted to run with the group but I'll catch up on the mileage this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment