Monday, January 27, 2014

Running with Juan Archila

Leading up to the Martinsville Half-Marathon, Run MHC will feature the stories of other runners so you can hear different perspectives on how various people began running and what motivates them. Today's guest blogger is Juan Archila of Atlanta, Georgia. Juan is an architect, a husband and a father of two. He has been running for the past three years. 
After years of telling myself that I needed to get back into running, but never finding enough time, a wake-up call came in late 2010 when I was 30 years old.  A cholesterol test revealed that my numbers were great… for an 80-year-old.  At 30, though, I was at a high risk for health problems, and it was due to poor diet and exercise habits.  I love my cheeseburger, though, so adjusting my diet seemed unrealistic, but making time for running was not only something I wanted to do, but now needed to do for my health and for my young family. 
On January 1, 2011, I made the commitment to run regularly.  I chose the Couch-to-5k (C25k) running program, and set the Leprechaun Road Race 5K (Dublin, GA) on March 19, 2011 as my goal race.  With knee brace firmly in place on a brisk New Year’s Day morning, I set out on my journey.  Three years later, not only did I finish the 5K, I’ve done the Peachtree Road Race 10K in Atlanta on July 4 (three years in a row), the Rock ‘N Roll Half Marathon in Philadelphia, and countless 5Ks, 4-Milers, 10Ks, a 12K and a 15K since.  I am currently training for the Rock ‘N Roll Half Marathon in San Francisco after getting over a shin injury late last year. 

The 2011 Peachtree Road Race will always be special for me because that is the first time since my 2011 commitment that I ran without the knee brace, and it was purely by accident.  I realized I forgot it just as I was on the subway heading to the start line.  There was no turning back at that point, so on I went.  After finishing the 10k with no pain or discomfort, I realized that in those first months of training, I used the knee brace as a security blanket.  I haven’t worn it since.   
I like to have fun at races and dress up in costume as much as I can.  Since 2012, I have run the Peachtree Road Race dressed as Waldo.  I like the idea that in a race of 55,000+ runners, and thousands of spectators, that everyone can play a game of “Where’s Waldo.”  I am an instant celebrity that day!  
To all who are considering getting into shape, I recommend running.  You will see your neighborhood and city through a new, calmer lens, and you can do it at just about any time.  Although you won’t see results immediately, have patience and develop a consistent, manageable training program makes running second nature, and the pounds and cholesterol levels will fall in line accordingly.  I now have average cholesterol levels and I still eat a cheeseburger now and then, although it’s funny how the effort and thought that goes into training carries over into your diet and work habits as well!  
Don’t get discouraged by injuries. They are a part of the process.  If injured get adequate rest and gradually get back in it; your body doesn’t really lose fitness until after two weeks of inactivity.  Most importantly, have fun!  If you like to run in a group and talk with others, find a way to do it.  If you prefer to run alone with headphones on, do it, but be very aware of your surroundings (traffic, dogs, etc.).  Run in costume sometime.  If racing, high-five spectators.  Visualize a healthier YOU – as a result of the choice YOU made to run.  Whatever makes it enjoyable and something that you can’t live without, do it.  It may not always be fun to run up a steep hill on mile 8 on a 16-degree windy morning (when everyone else is asleep), but it produces long-term benefits, and if nothing else, it gives you the ability to tell yourself, and others, at the end, “I did it!”       
Thanks so much to Juan for sharing his story. If you have a story to share about running, send it my way. Email your story and a photo to JDoss@YesMartinsville.com.

If you have not signed up for the YMCA's training programs yet, it's not too late! The half-marathon class continues each Tuesday and the 5K program begins on February 10th. Challenge yourself to take a step towards a better you!


No comments:

Post a Comment