Sunday, March 9, 2014

Overacheivers

21 Days to Go - This was the day that I needed to hit double digits. A group of runners had invited me to join them for a 7 a.m. run but H was at a slumber party and I really wanted to enjoy sleeping in on a Saturday. Wendy agreed to drive up from Danville and meet me for a 9:30 a.m. run. As I arrived at the YMCA, the 7 a.m. crew was leaving and they stopped to tell me about their impressive 12-mile run. I was nervous enough about running 10.

Wendy and I set out on the Dick & Willie Passage Rail Trail and made really great time, running at a 8:15 per mile pace for the first three miles. I was actually shocked at how quickly we made it down to the turn around at Mulberry Creek. We've discovered that the more times you run a particular route, your body get acclimated to the elevation changes  We headed back up the trail and began running towards Liberty Street, a new stretch for us.

Running and breathing is challenging enough, running and talking is even harder and Wendy and I learned that running and complex math for us is just a no-go. In our calculations of time, map miles and estimated distance between trail landmarks we severely miscalculated our run. We discovered this error at mile 9 when we were half-way between Liberty Street and El Parral. At that point, there's only one way to get back...run!

During our run back we got to know the hill between Liberty Street and the Uptown Connection Trail well. This hill presented nearly 250 feet of elevation gain over the course of a mile and a half. Despite the fact that we walked up this hill some, ran two miles further than planned and took two restroom breaks during our run, we completed it an average pace of 10:05 per mile. 12 miles.... um, we meant to do that!

Almost there!

#KeepRunning #WeCanDoThis

No comments:

Post a Comment