Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Uphill Battle

One thing that you need to know about running the Martinsville Half Marathon, Relay & 5K is that it has hills. Not seriously intimidating hills but gentle rolling ones that will sneak up on you. The best way to prepare for this race is to train by running on hills. Our YMCA training team coach, Richard told us that "running hills is speed training in disguise". Get faster on the hills and you'll improve performance on the flat stretches.

Over the past two months I've been tackling more and more elevation. My running buddy Sharon introduced me to Root Trail, training coach Becky showed me the ropes on Ford Street and Richard took us to the one of the ultimate uphill battles in Martinsville, Mulberry.

33 Days to Go - Because of the recent snow fall that week, sidewalks were out of the question again so Richard decided it was time to introduce us to a new street route. I prepared for the run with Peanut Butter GU that was very tasty! From the YMCA, we turned left on Starling, and another left on Mulberry. We would turn around at the 2.5 mile mark to complete our 5 mile run. Because we were running on the street during the 5:30 p.m. afternoon rush, I was very thankful for wearing my brightest colored reflective running top.

I enjoyed stretching my legs out on the long downhill sections. I listened to my music and kept up with my pace, not really paying attention to what I had just gotten myself into. At mile three I was wearing out, I shed my outer layer and wrapped it around my waist. It was very surreal to run in short sleeves and become hot while surrounded by snow everywhere.

I was among the last three runners in the pack but in the YMCA's training group, no one is left behind. Richard circled back around to motivate us and help with our technique. He pointed out that I was leaning over too far while running uphill and this decreases the amount of air your body takes in. Very soon after straightening up my posture I could tell a difference. He also advised that we pump our arms straight forward and backward while running rather than side to side. "Running is all about efficiency," he told us.

As we approached Mulberry Hill, Richard challenged us to do our best and if it meant walking part - that was OK. The hill is a steady 3/4 mile incline. I did break down and walk twice going up the hill but then I'd set a small goal and tell my self  to run to the next mail box. Baby steps work when faced with a challenge. At the end of the run I completed the five-mile route at an average pace of 9:51 per mile.

On the following Saturday, Richard had challenged us to travel to Stuart, Virginia to participate in the Caring Hearts 10K, to benefit their local free clinic. He informed us that he had led us up Mulberry that week on purpose to prepare us.  Okay....

28 Days to Go - After battling a head cold for most of the week I debated on whether or not I was going to go. I decided that I was going to have to run one way or another that weekend and I'd rather do it with a crowd of other people. Four members of the training group participated in the race: Jay, Brian, Wendy and me. The excitement of getting ready for the race and running acted as natural antihistamines - I did not have any cold symptoms or sinus pressure during the race and for about 2-3 hours afterward. More proof that running is good for you! I prepared for the run with Espresso flavored GU.

The course featured some beautiful scenery with rocky outcrops, hillsides filled with Rhododendron and meandering creeks. At mile three, I fueled up with a vanilla flavored gel supplement by PowerBar. This one was by far my least favorite of all the supplements I've tried so far.

I wondered where this hill was that Richard was "preparing us for." Near mile five we took a left turn on to Pine Street. It was uphill but I took the challenge and pushed myself. Remembering Leanna's advice I shortened my stride to take more powerful climbing steps. The road turned left and we were still going uphill, the road turned right and we were still going uphill! A lady stood at the end of her driveway watching us with a look of confusion and disbelief on her face at the sight of all these crazy people running up the hill.

Mid-way up this long hill, I broke down and walked. I looked up ahead and all the faster runners ahead of me were also walking. I turned back and the people behind me started to walk. Hills are a great equalizer. Towards the top of the hill, a family was patiently waiting on the side of the road with cow bells to cheer on runners. Seeing that we all looked pretty boring walking up the hill, I picked up the pace to run past the family so I could at least give the kids something to cheer for.

The last stretch going through the finish line was downhill and I enjoyed stretching my legs out as I made my way to the end. I finished the race in just over an hour at an average pace of 10:04 per mile. Since I had been training with ladies that run 8 minute miles, I just knew that I had no chance of placing in this race. I was just happy to complete it and get in my six mile training run for the week. But as I stated before - hills are equalizers. Not only did I place, but I was first in my age bracket. Jay and Wendy also won in their respective age brackets. It was a great feeling to win and I received a cool painting made by a local artist as a prize.

After running Root, Ford, Mulberry and Pine, I'm ready. Bring on the hills! (Just don't say that too loudly around Richard though!) :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment